Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Scientist, Consumer Science - Seventh Generation
The Senior Scientist,Consumer Science works collaboratively across functions and product groups tosupport all aspects of product development to ensure product safety andauthenticity to meet the rigorous Seventh Generation standards.
In addition, they areresponsible for generating technical insights inputting to the developmentprocess for products; conducts consumer research to support the productdevelopment work and work closely with claims and sales to develop technicalcommunication to tell the R&D story. This role will work across all product categories in North America.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES
Consumer Safety andAuthenticity in Products
- Responsible for driving the product safety programme across theportfolio of ingredients used and finished products that are developed ensuringcompliance with company and brand standards, including but not limited toproduct preservation, ocular/dermal irritation, sensitization testing
- Design and execute third party testing including but not limited to study design, coordination with labs, analysis, and reporting to generate performance, safety, authenticity, and environmental data for claims support and product qualification.
- Work closely with formulation chemists, packaging engineers, and regulatory affairs on innovation, renovation, cost saving projects, ensuring that consumer safety requirements are incorporated as part of the product development process from briefing through to scale up.
- Lead the use of company consumer safety screening tools and experts to assess and ensure products that are being designed meet the safety standards.
- Coordinate data requests from internal and external stakeholders and provide reports, presentations, and other materials as required.
- Lead or contribute to special projects as required.
Consumer Product Testing
- Responsible for the relationship management and programme with external and internal partner on consumer product testing requirement to support the business
- Responsible for building the consumer technical insights understanding across key product categories and feed into the product development process
- Lead consumer product testing across categories including but not limited to methodology selection, test design, recruitment, data collection, sample management, analysis, reporting and logistics required for project
- Act as a subject matter expert for internal and external stakeholders on consumer testing protocols.
- Lead or contribute to special projects as required.
- Lead the qualification process for new product development, working cross functionally to ensure that all the technical elements of the product are delivered together and meet the product action standards prior to release for manufacture.
- Responsible for the creation and implementation of the standard operating processes and procedures owned by Consumer Science team.
- Lead documentation management for the projects but not limited to procuring raw material documentation, creating and maintaining product data libraries
- Responsible for ensuring that network of capabilities of 3rdparty testing labs deliver to requirements of quality, efficiency and cost.
- Define and evaluate future testing lab capabilities to meet NorthAmerica business requirements
- Work closely with claims, sales, brand PR to develop material tobe used in communicating the key technical elements of products
- Supervisory responsibility of team coordinator
- Mentorship for junior members of the team
- Executecompetitive intelligence research including but not limited to working with marketing/salesto determine key competitors, designing and executing research studies tomeasure competitive product attributes, creating product demonstrations andreports for sales & marketing, and creating searchable databases/librariesof competitive data.
- Conduct regular market assessments of claims in key and adjacentcategories to deliver: competitive landscape assessments, historical catalog ofclaims of key competitors, emerging trends, competitiveadvantages/disadvantages
- Act as a subjectmatter expert for internal and external stakeholders.
KNOWLEDGE ANDSKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Scientific discipline eg. Toxicology, Microbiology, Biological Science, Physical Science
- Related experience (6+years) in R&D in consumer product goods industry (ideally across differentR&D functions)
- Working knowledge of product development process and requirements for product stability
- Previous experience in consumer test design is a benefit
- Previous experience in managing junior team members
- Strong communication skills; proven record of working well in cross functional teams
- Good analytical skills and being able to write well written reports
- Experience in managing logistically complex projects and large volumes of data.
- Able to coordinate the needs of multiple functional areas simultaneously.
- Able to prioritize and meet deadlines within specified time constraints.
- Self-motivated with an enhanced ability to work independently.
- Desire to work in a small, entrepreneurial environment and for a socially responsible business.
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with Product Vision, electronic notebook would be a plus.
- Willingness to continually embrace personal and professional development.
- Open office environment
- No specific physical requirements
- Travelis expected up to <5% of the time
What We Can Offer You
Culture forGrowth | Top NotchEmployee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every VoiceMatters | Global Reach | Life at Unilever | Careers withPurpose | World Class CareerDevelopment Programs | Check Out OurSpace | Focus OnSustainability
Unileveris an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our businessresults and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, globalconsumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows usto match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/ProtectedVeterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicantsand employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For moreinformation, please see EEOis the Law
Employmentis subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drugscreening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
If you are an individual with adisability in need of assistance at any time during our recruitment process,please contact us at 1-855-239-5459 or NAAccommodations@unliever.com.Please note: These lines are reserved for individuals with disabilities in needof assistance and are not a means of inquiry about positions or applicationstatuses.