North American Breweries, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Brewery Manager, Magic Hat Brewing Company
at North American Breweries, Inc.
With a heritage that dates back to 1878, North American Breweries (NAB) includes one of the largest and oldest breweries in the United States. We produce and market ten nationally recognized beer and malt beverage products including Genesee, Labatt, Magic Hat and Seagram’s Escapes. With brands in all key beer categories, a significant portion of our sales comes from high growth segments. North American Breweries employs 1,100 people in three breweries and six retail locations in New York, Vermont, California, Oregon and Washington. Our company is headquartered in our Rochester, New York.
At North American Breweries, we take great pride in the beers we produce and market. Our goal is to leverage the best of what our history and employees have to offer to create success. Inspired by our parent company, Florida Ice and Farm Co (FIFCO), a Costa Rica-based producer of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, we utilize a “Triple Bottom Line” philosophy of management. Rather than measuring results only by economic gain, we also prioritize social and environmental investment and results to create value in the communities in which we live and operate. A unified company purpose and values drive our daily activities and inform our business decisions.
We are poised to make additional investments in manufacturing; people; product innovation; and sales & marketing in order to further grow our business.
The Brewery Manager is the site leader for the Magic Hat Brewing Company facility in South Burlington, Vermont. This role leads all brewery operations to meet and exceed productivity, quality, cost, service, safety and delivery goals. This role will also work to further integrate our triple bottom line philosophy which includes a balanced focus on financial performance, employee engagement, community support and environmental stewardship.
Specific responsibilities of the Brewery Manager, Magic Hat Brewing Company will include, but not be limited to:
- Create budget and operating plan for the brewery; establish objectives, procedures and performance measures for each function/area of the brewery.
- Review performance against operating plans, standards, and scorecards; work with team to interpret results and implement countermeasures as required.
- Review and approve plans for the control of plant outputs, inventory/raw materials, maintenance and operational spending, work force utilization, equipment productivity and maintenance, facility maintenance, execution of quality standards, and utilization of outside resources/vendors.
- Quickly respond to changes in volume.
- Provide technical expertise in troubleshooting problems and implementing new products.
- Recruit, develop and motivate a high performance team (involved in all hiring decisions). Ensure adequate training is provided for all positions.
- Communicate for alignment; keep all employees informed as to company/department plans and progress; help set and adjust individual priorities; constantly work to create engagement.
- Drive the implementation of lasting process improvements.
- Participate in and oversee capital equipment projects, including cost effective analysis and purchasing
- Develop plans for new areas of technology for the manufacturing functions along with sufficient planning for areas that support the mission of Brewery Operations within the corporation
- Lead and participate in weekly and monthly coaching staff meetings
- Coordinate and collaborate with other departments (i.e., Sales & Marketing) in establishing and carrying out responsibilities.
- Represent the company to external parties as needed/appropriate. Project a positive image to the customers we serve and the industry in which we participate. Communicate with external parties in a timely fashion regarding business matters and builds professional relationships with major participants
- Maintain familiarity and oversight for all control and regulatory requirements including but not limited to TTB, environmental, etc.) related to the production of beers, including contact with both NAB and regulatory staff.
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Engineering or Life Sciences, (Chemistry, Microbiology, or Fermentation Science)
- 10+ years’ experience in operations management with a variety of functional experiences; MUST have food & beverage industry experience, preferably in alcoholic beverages.
- Strong understanding of brewing process from mill in to bottle, including quality standards and practices
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skill set.
- Positive attitude
- Results orientation
- Demonstrated ability to manage strategically, execute tactically and provide leadership to others
- Ability to relate well to people at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated understanding of all the levers associated with managing a business
- Exceptional commitment to quality at all points in the production process
- Ability to lead by example and demonstrate company purpose and values
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks to closure concurrently
- Holds others accountable
- Ability to drive and lead change
- Creative problem solver
- Ability to sell ideas to peers and senior leaders
- Collaborative working style
The Brewery Manager, Magic Hat Brewing Company will be based in South Burlington, Vermont. Occasional travel to our Rochester, New York location will be required.
Living in Vermont
South Burlington, Vermont is home of the Magic Hat Brewing Company. Life in Vermont offers great opportunities to enjoy the outdoors, with Chittenden County sandwiched between the Green Mountains and Lake Champlain. Low crime rates, excellent public schools and cultural opportunities abound. Big cities are readily accessible, with Montreal just 90 minutes away and Boston four hours by car. There are no shortage of accolades for Vermont, either – Burlington has been voted one of Kiplinger’s 10 Best Cities for the Next Decade; the United Health Foundation ranked Vermont as the healthiest state in the nation for the last four years and Men’s Health named Burlington the best place to raise a family and the #1 city for men. For more information about life in Vermont, visit www.vermont.org